We had some new friends over for lunch today, so we made some yummy soup to share. It was thunder-storming all morning and the sun came out just before our guests arrived, so a lovely day for soup. Because we were feeding a crowd, we made the soup much bigger than if it had just been us. Four adults and three kids were fed and we still have 5 cups of soup in the fridge.
- 2 cans fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 can diced green chiles
- 1/2 red onion, chopped (add more if you want more kick)
- 1/2 c frozen corn
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- 1/2 c salsa
- 2 T lime juice
- 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp oregano, 1/4 tsp chili powder, 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 3 chicken breasts (this makes a MEATY soup)
- Avocado, cilantro, shredded cheese and tortilla strips to serve
Throw everything into the crockpot (except your serving extras). UPDATE–I forgot to mention to add enough water to make the soup the consistency you like. Start with a couple of cans (I always rinse out my tomato cans and fill them up) and go from there. Turn it onto high if you’ll be eating in 4 hours or less, low if you’ll be eating anything outside of that. Before serving, remove chicken breasts and shred. Add back to the crockpot. Serve each bowl with diced avocado, snipped cilantro, cheese and crumbled tortilla strips.